Sunday, April 15, 2007

Grandpa Pete

(I'm posting this one day early so my Mother can read this on Sunday and not have to read it at work on Monday and bawl her eyes out there :) )

6 years ago tomorrow, my Grandpa 'Pete' passed away. As I said in a previous post, my grandma and grandpa were my 'second parents', living down the street from me. My grandfather was the single most influential person in my life. He was such a loving, giving, Godly man. Grandpa was one of those people that left an impact on people he met. He certainly left an impact on me. Here is grandpa on my wedding day...May 13, 2000. He was gracious enough to walk me down the aisle with my father...
Grandpa had cancer, multiple myloma. He was blessed with 6 more years after his diagnosis...six years that we all treasured. I was able to be in the hospital with him his last couple days, and I have to say, it was a sad but wonderful time. We all were able to say our 'goodbyes' to him, which many people are unable to do with their loved ones. For that, I am grateful.
Grandpa left a legacy. Even though my children never will meet him, the legacy that he created somehow lives in me, and in some way, I'm sure that someday I will be able to look at my girls and see my grandpa living in them...

7 comments:

Mandalyn said...

That is so sweet! I can tell he meant so much to you! I'm so glad you got so much treasured time with him!!

Jennifer said...

Yes, Jennisa, your grandpa really was a wonderful man! I don't know if you know that I took off school (teaching) and came down to Onalaska for his funeral. I cannot believe he's been in Heaven for 6 years already! Wonderful photos you have of the two of you.

Allison said...

Jenissa,
Thanks for all of the comments on my blog, we are enjoying our twins greatly. My grandmother also died of multiple myleoma. She was diagnosed several years before her death and given months to live. However, by some miracle she really had no symptoms until about a month or so before she passed. What is extra special is that we were able to schedule the twins' birthday for the same day as grandmas! I will be thinking of your family tomorrow. I know how special grandparents can be.

Kim said...

That is wonderful Jennisa. I have the same feelings about grandfather as you do yours. Mine has been passed for about 31/2 years now and Katie and I were lucky have been able to say goodbye.

Theresa Marie said...

oh Jennisa - I can tell that he was really special to you and I'm sure that his legacy will live on through you and your children and even your children's children! What a wonderful and beautiful picture of you kissing him on the cheek - so precious.

Sue said...

What a wonderful post. My gf died when I was 9 and even in those 9 years, he had a huge impact on me. I miss him every day. I'm glad you had that time with him no matter how hard it was.

TechnoMOM said...

Treasured memories for sure. I lost my grandma too early and like your grandpa, she was my second parent. I never had any grandpa's growing up, so my grandma was my all (like your grandpa to you). Seeing the pics are very precious.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Story