Monday, April 21, 2008

The "X-rated" Little Red Riding Hood....

I was at work the other day, and there was this super cute Little Red Riding hood pop up book that I saw. I had to get it for Avery. She is reading like crazy, and I just knew she would LOVE it. To my surprise, this is what I read in the story....please, keep reading....



So far, innocent, right? Just like you've always heard it? Me too....read on....



Um, what? I thought Grandma was put in the closet....not "gobbled up"... Imagine my surprise as Avery and I are reading this. You think it's bad already? Um, no....keep going....



WHAT? I have lived almost 29 years, and never have I heard that poor Little Red Riding Hood gets eaten...are you KIDDING me???? But, again I say, read on.....



Are your jaws on the floor? Imagine as I'm reading this to my daughter....the daughter who has a photographic memory and who remembers everything....I was shocked, to put it lightly.



Well, I'm so glad that Grandma thought to let the kind woodcutter come and have some tea. After all, he did cut the wolfs tummy open to save them.....

I would LOVE to know if this is the Little Red Riding Hood you grew up reading. I guarantee you, this one will not be read here again...

17 comments:

Abbie said...

WHAT?! Oh my goodness!! hahaha No, thats definitely not the story I read growing up! haha oh my!!

Dena said...

WOW - that's GRAPHIC! I can't imagine reading that! Who knew you had to scan CHILDREN'S books before you read them!

Terri said...

Actually, that's the way I always heard the story growing up.

Alex & Jill said...

I've read this one as well as the less violent version. Why did they have to mess with a classic bedtime story? LOL This one will surely keep your little Avery up all night with nightmares. Bless her heart!

LeslieW. said...

I have NEVER heard it that way before! That is crazy. I hope that is one thing she forgets!

Kim said...

That is not the story I was read growing up, however I have HEARD of this storyline before, it is a little wierd.

Faith Hope Love Mama said...

I have heard this version also. I think it's the original fairy tale and the one we heard growing up was the g-rated version. Most fairy tales and nursery rhymes are quite morbid. Truly.

Anonymous said...

you'd think the woodcutter would have took off the hide before throwing the wolf in the well... At least he could get some money for the fur that way!!!!!!!!Grampa Craigie

Sue said...

I haven't seen that one, but some of the classic nursery rhymes are pretty graphic. Crazy!

Love Livvie's curls.

Anonymous said...

This is the Little Red Riding Hood I grew up with. If you think about it, being a little pig and having your house blown down was probably no party either. But it was the image of the wolf who later fell down the chimney into a boiling pot of water that really 'got' me. Ewww. ~ Becky

MCK Mama said...

Yikes! Yes, I knew in the "original" that LRRH does get eaten. BUT, most of the versions for kids...like in cute little books...didn't have that part. And SHEESH it was written so graphically in this version you got! How absolutely terrible! I would never read it to my kids, either. What a bummer...can you return it? :) Too bad you can't just grab a CHILDREN'S book and assume it's okay. Sad.

Kelly said...

I have also heard of LRRH getting eaten but never heard of the woodcutter chopping the wolf and throwing him down a well. That's a little bit to much for me.

Tricia said...

Maybe it was my demented child hood but thats how I remember the story lol. I wouldnt read it to my kids though lol.

Leslie said...

I do remember this version now that you have shared but like others it is not the version my kids will be reading. I hope you can return it as well.

Veronica said...

This is the version I remember growing up, but at the end it got worst, when the woodcutter waits for the wolf to fall asleep, cuts him open, stuffs the wolfs belly with rocks and then sews him up so when the wolf wakes up, he's very thirsty and goes to the edge of the river and falls, and obviously drown while LRRH the grandma and him laugh and cheer.
Can you imagine going to sleep after that?

Karen said...

I remember that version too, but also the g-rated one! I think my boys would like the orginal better... or they would come up with it on their own! It would probably invovle some truck running over the wolf or somthing!

Sheri said...

LOL, yep, that's the way I heard it growing up. I always read the slightly better version to my kids.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

credits

designed by ME!

Our Story

friends i don't know