Saturday, December 6, 2008

What do ya do?

Our family has never had Santa be part of our Christmas. From the beginning, Avery knew that Santa was not real, and we told her that he wasn't real. All was working well through her toddler years, and even her Pre-Kindergarten year....not so much this year.

Here comes my dilemma...

With her being in school, her friends are telling her that Santa comes to their houses and brings them presents. They make lists, set out cookies, and whatever else Santa-believers do.

Imagine her 6 year old mind thinking....hmmmm, why doesn't he bring me presents? Why doesn't he come to my house?

Avery told me that she told her friend the other day that Santa wasn't real. I don't want Avery to be that kid....the one that ruins the fun of Santa for anyone...

Which is why the other day was surprising to me. Avery said that she wanted to write Santa a letter....just in case he is real.

Daddy told her that Santa is not real, and that Jesus is. BUT, I suppose we can pretend with her, right? She said that she wants to pretend that he is real....So, I guess we're going to do that? Kind of confusing, but I guess we'll play along...

Not only that, but she wrote him this letter yesterday....



Then she had to place it in an envelope...


wrap it up real good...


Address it to the big guy himself.....


And put it somewhere where he will be sure to see it...ya know, for 'pretend'...


Oh Lord, I hope I'm not damaging this child...I'm trying to make her Christ-honoring, and I hope she'll understand someday the values we're trying to instill in her....

So, as of now, I guess we are going to "pretend to pretend that Santa is real"...good grief

what do to, what to do.....

11 comments:

Tricia said...

You could always try to incorporate Christianity into it maybe using Saint Nicholas as he was the original "santa"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Nicholas

He was generous saint and helped the poor.

Carla said...

I would tell her who the real Saint Nicholas was--and that the santa that people belive in now is the spirit of the real one....but that the ones that dress up are pretend. The spirit of the original santa was to give gifts to those who didnt have any--to show them God's love. I would then say if you want to pretend that santa is real--that this would be fun--but that it all comes back to God's gift to us, Jesus. Make sense?

Lori said...

i agree...our kiddos know and appreciate the reason for the season being Jesus, but they also know the story of st nicholas...a good way to 'explain'santa...

happy st. nicholas day everyone!
timely post!

Shelley said...

I think the pretending of him is great. Too many parents flat out lie to their kids and say that there is a Santa. Don't get me wrong I love Santa but we need to be careful about how we present him to our kids! I think you all are handling it great!

Jamie said...

I was going to suggest the St Nick part of it too.

Sara said...

We started out like you, but it's inevitable (it seems). Ben came home just days ago and asked us directly if Santa was real or not?!
We chose not to lie (they can obviously see SANTA around, ya know). We just reminded him to KNOW that the REAL reason we celebrate is Jesus.
Maybe have a Birthday Party for Jesus. Go all out, ya know?
Santa is fun for them to imagine about, and it doesn't hurt them to just "pretend" about the magic of Santa, so to speak. Tough,but you did well. Santa is only ONCE a year, Jesus is everyday (24/7/365)

Lesley said...

I just had to laugh reading your post. All the good intentions.....just follow her lead...it will be fine.

Alicia O. & the gang said...

I think the St. Nicholas Ideas are great...but I too think that if you just follow her lead and don't lie about it she will remember the wonderful values you have taught...AND that you like to be a little silly now and then too. And that's ok I think! Love the blog...just dropped by from MckMama

karen said...

My father believed in santa. Every aspect of him. I belived in santa. And so did my two brothers.
My father is a priest. Studied when he was twenty. Has been serving the same chruch. My brother is now studying theology too.
Morals and values are never cut short by such an innocent idea. It is how you present that idea...and incorperate it into your own beliefs that matters.
Still belives(in spirit)
Always follows Him

La Familia Garcia said...

I reading how everyone else deals with this! I totally understand your dilemma, but think that your handeling it GREAT! By the way, I LOVE HER CARD! SOO CUTE!

La Familia Garcia said...

Is santa going to get her a gift? ;)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Story