Saturday, December 15, 2007

Breaking her down....

Livvie has always been a child that will not soothe herself to sleep. She needs to be held until she falls asleep, or she just needs us to be "there" with her.

This last week, I have decided, that this child of mine needs to learn to go to sleep on her own. It has not been going great, but it has been going well. I am very surprised by that, I have to admit.

At nap times, and at bed time, I will put her in her crib...tired...but not asleep. She will scream and cry for a little while, but each time she cries less and less...

This is not a fun part of parenting. She is a very strong willed child, so I look forward to seeing if we can "break" her of her ways.....

Just don't tell her I'm doing this...

7 comments:

Sarah said...

Way to go Jennisa! These steps in teaching our children aren't always easy, but what's best for them and the rest of the family sometimes isn't the easiest thing to learn. Prevail my sister, you will be SO glad you did if you can just stick to it. Just think, you and darling hubby in your own bed, just the two of you, sleeping all the way through the night! I'm here for you if you need encouragement along the way:)
Love, Sarah

Kimberly said...

Dude, I totally had to do that with Landen, and it was super hard b/c whenhe cried all I wanted to do was go pick him up and snuggle, BUT I didn't and now he goes to bed just fine! Nice job mama

Theresa Marie said...

good for you! We did that with Audrey starting at about 7 months, and it worked great. She now goes to bed and nap with no problems because she knows that we won't "give in". It's SO hard hearing your baby cry, but it's worth it for you and for her!

Lisa said...

Good for you! It's for a mama to hear her baby cry, but she is old enough and maybe she will be a better sleeper b/c of this. Keep it up even though it is hard!

The LaBouffs said...

She'll get there sooner than you think! You're right though, learning to self-soothe is a very important thing for babies/kids to learn! Even though it's not easy now, you're doing the right thing and the best thing! Keep it up:)

LeslieW. said...

I am sooooo proud of you! That is so hard, I know. I am a big proponent of letting them cry. Sometimes to a fault, but I am so happy for you. It will make life so much easier!

Dena said...

Annie STILLLLLL sleeps with me! I am getting myself prepped up for the BIG BREAK! Tell me how it goes and give some advice!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Story