Monday, September 14, 2009

something i read tonight

...it's hard to understand what goes through the mind of a parent of a child with food allergies (like Avery). I was looking online tonight, and found the following quote....I couldn't say it better myself...

"When you come to grips with the fact that your child could die from eating the wrong food, or perhaps even being exposed to it, the dreams of your child having a normal childhood seem to go up in smoke. At first, all you can think about is how you will keep them safe. As a parent, your life totally changes when you're told that your child should never be without their epi-pen. But as you become acclimated to life with allergies, you realize that allergic kids want to engage with life as much as any other kids. As allergy parents, one of our most important jobs is balancing safety with normalcy."

3 comments:

Faith Hope Love Mama said...

My middle child has a reaction 1-2 times per year. (peanuts) Her last one I was totally not prepared for as I left her at a friends for a birthday party. I got so used to everyone knowing her allergy and thinking they were being careful. She ended up eating half a snickers bar. It was a trip to the ER as she had hives, itching, and difficulty breathing. While balancing safety and normalcy is the goal, letting your guard down can be fatal. I didn't even have a Benadryl on me as I ran quickly to pick her up. So not like me either. I think this last one really scared my daughter though. I'm sure she will be extra careful in the future which is something I worry about every day in school.
Is your school peanut free?

Kaci said...

Oh yikes!! I can't imagine the fear. I had a cousin with a allergy and it was very scary seeing a reaction. Hugs!

Hannah said...

What kind of food allergy does she have? I have just started selling for a company called Wildtree. They are an all-natural food product with no msg, preservatives, food dyes, additives or high fructose corn syrup. It was created by a mom whose kids had lots of food allergies. They are very delcious and reasonable. Their culinary blends are the best buy as they feed a family of 4 many times. The alfredo for example feeds a family of 4 5 times. The spagetti sauce feeds a family of 6 15 times. It is really good stuff. They also have a list of gluten free, dairy free, sugar free, ect...
The website is www.wildtree.com If you see anything you would like to order just send me an e-mail and I could ship it to you. It is really hard to try to change the way you cook for your child. We have been trying to eliminate sugar and dairy and it is tough. It is in soo many things. Good luck with everything.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Our Story